Grammy-nominated country baritone Chris Young took an unorthodox approach to cutting his fifth studio album I’m Comin’ Over. Young took the reigns on the project, opting to act as co-producer for the first time, alongside Corey Crowder. He wanted to use a younger group of musicians and take more time in the studio to get the desired sound.
To appease his record label, RCA Nashville, he offered to pay for the project out of pocket. After he played them three songs, they were convinced, and enthusiastically gave him the green light (and cash) to finish the project.
In an interview with The Boot, Young said, “...It was cool to see my label support me like that...I knew that’s what I wanted to do. I knew that was how I wanted to make this record. I knew that we could do it and make it really, really cool and really special.”
I’m Comin’ Over is the follow-up record to 2013’s A.M., which included RIAA-certified Gold singles "Aw Naw," "Who I Am With You," and "Lonely Eyes.”
Young told Rolling Stone, “I’m Comin’ Over is] the perfect sonic bridge between [A.M.] and what this one is going to sound like, and we just crossed our fingers and went with it."
The album’s title track, a steamy slow jam, was released as its lead single in May and has already been certified Gold. The song’s music video, which is equally sultry, (think city lights, hot blond, brooding Young) has more than 55 million views.
Young co-wrote nine out the album’s eleven tracks, two of which feature special guest appearances. He duets with Cassadee Pope on “Think of You,” which he debuted on Oct. 25, with a lyric video. He also collaborated with his musical hero, Vince Gill, on “Sober Saturday Night.”
Young kicked off the first leg of the I’m Comin’ Over World Tour on Sept. 30 at Nashville’s Ascend Amphitheater, which will run through the first week of December. He just announced the tour’s 2016 dates, which start on Jan. 21 in Lowell, Mass., and feature special guest Cassadee Pope.
Tickets for the new tour dates will go on sale on Friday (Nov. 13), the same day as the release of I’m Comin’ Over.
I’m Comin’ Over Track Listing:
1. “Heartbeat” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
2. “I’m Comin’ Over” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
3. “Think of You” (duet with Cassadee Pope) (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
4. “You Do the Talkin’” (Cary Barlowe, Corey Crowder, Liz Rose)
5. “I Know a Guy” (Benjy Davis, Brett Tyler)
6. “Alone Tonight” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
7. “Sunshine Overtime” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Jeremy Stover)
8. “Sober Saturday Night” (feat. Vince Gill) (Chris Young, Brad Warren, Brett Warren)
9. “Underdogs” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
10. “Callin’ My Name” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Jonathan Singleton)
11. “What If I Stay” (Chris Young, Johnny Bulford, Josh Hoge)
Chris Young, 2016 I’m Comin’ Over World Tour Dates (w/ Cassadee Pope)
Jan. 21 — Lowell, Mass. @ Lowell Memorial Auditorium
Jan. 22 — Philadelphia, Pa. @ Electric Factory
Jan. 23 — Pittsburgh, Pa. @ Stage AE
Jan. 28 — Cleveland, Ohio @ Connor Place
Jan. 29 — Cincinnati, Ohio @ Aronoff Center for the Arts
Feb. 3 — Minneapolis, Minn. @ Northrop
Feb. 4 — Rosemont, Ill. @ Rosemont Theatre
Feb. 5 — Royal Oak, Mich. @ Royal Oak Music Theatre
Feb. 14 — Estero, Fla. @ Germain Arena
Feb. 18 — Kansas City, Mo. @ Arvest Bank Theatre at the Midland
Feb. 19 — Tulsa, Okla. @ Brady Theater
Feb. 25 — New York City @ PlayStation Theater
Feb. 26 — Baltimore, Md. @ Lyric