There is great excitement and anticipation in southern California right now because professional lacrosse is returning as the San Diego Seals join he National Lacrosse League for the 2018-19 regular season. On Sept. 25 in Philadelphia, the Seals participated in their first ever NLL Entry Draft where they selected forward Austin Staats first overall. Other players the Seals selected in the NLL Entry Draft were forwards Connor Fields and Connor Kearnan in the first round, goaltender Rylan Hartley and transition player Graydon Bradley in the second round, transition player Derek Lloyd and forward Jules Heningburg in the third round, defenders Austin Divitcos and Zac Christianson and forward Zach Bryant in the fourth round, defender Sean Mayle in the fifth round and transition player Jake Cook in the sixth round.
The Seals also have players on their roster with significant NLL experience. Here are five players Seals fans should be excited to watch during their inaugural season.
5) Garrett McIntosh--Selected in the seventh round, 14th overall, by the San Diego Seals in the 2018 NLL Expansion Draft, Garrett McIntosh has five years of NLL experience with the Calgary Roughnecks. A defender, McIntosh is 29 years of age. In 71 games, McIntosh has scored 16 goals and had 15 assists for 31 points. Where McIntosh makes his biggest difference is his ability to collect loose balls. He has collected 182 of them in his NLL career.
4) Adrian Sorichetti--Selected in the third round, sixth overall, by the Seals in the 2018 NLL Expansion Draft, Adrian Sorichetti has five years of NLL experience with the Rush organization (first two seasons in Edmonton and the last three seasons in Saskatchewan). In 72 games, he has had 30 goals and 23 assists for 53 points. Last season in Saskatchewan, Sorichetti had seven goals and eight assists for 15 points. A defender, Sorichetti is 28 years old. He has also won three of the last four National Lacrosse League Cups with the Rush.
3) Frank Scigliano--Expected to be the Seals goaltender for the 2018 NLL season, Frank Scigliano was selected in the sixth round, 12th overall, by the Seals in the 2018 NLL Expansion Draft. Over the last seven seasons, Scigliano has played with the Calgary Roughnecks. In 116 games, Scigliano has a record of 21 wins, 23 losses, a goals against average of 12.15 and save percentage of .765.
2) Kyle Buchanan--A forward, Buchanan has played the last six seasons in the NLL with the Washington Stealth, Philadelphia Wings and New England Black Wolves. In 98 regular season games, Buchanan has 131 goals and 199 assists for 330 points. Last season with the Black Wolves, Buchanan had 19 goals and 31 assists for 50 points. Unlike most of his teammates who were signed as a free agent or selected by the Seals in the NLL Entry Draft or NLL Expansion Draft, Buchanan was acquired by the Seals via trade. On July 2, Buchanan was traded from the Black Wolves to the Seals in a trade involving draft picks.
1) Garrett Billings--A forward, Billings played eight seasons in the NLL from 2010-2017 with the Toronto Rock, New England Black Wolves and Vancouver Stealth. In 101 NLL regular season games, Billings had 180 goals and 403 assists for 583 points. For three consecutive seasons from 2012-2014, Billings had 100 points in a season with the Rock including a career high 114 points in 2012. At 32 years of age, Billings joined the Seals as a free agent.