A newJohnny Cash album titled Johnny Cash: Forever Words is a collaboration of stars featuring Cash’s unknown poetry, letters and lyrics, according to Rolling Stone on Feb. 8. The album, which will be released via Legacy Recordings on April 6, will including performances by the late Chris Cornell, Willie Nelson, Rosanne Cash, John Mellencamp, Kris Kristofferson, Kacey Musgraves, T Bone Burnett, Brad Paisley, Carlene Carter, Elvis Costello, and others.
The album is based on a massive collection of Johnny Cash’s handwritten poems, letters, and documents, which were discovered following his death in 2003. The collection includes love letters to (“To June This Morning”) and his final poem (“Forever/I Still Miss Someone”). The previously unknown and unreleased writings were written over his lifetime and included a variety of subjects..
Forever Words has been co-produced by John Carter Cash, the son of Johnny and June Carter Cash, and Steve Berkowitz. The words were set to music and recorded primarily at the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tenn.
John Carter Cash described the process of matching the artists to the songs, in a statement, “Determining the artist for each song was truly a matter of the heart. I picked the artists who are most connected with my father, who had a personal story that was connected with Dad. It became an exciting endeavor to go through these works, to put them together and present them to different people who could finish them in a way that I believed that Dad would have wanted."
Once the process of matching an artist to the writing was decided, the artist set the poem to their own music, making it a collaboration with the late "Ring of Fire" legend.
Many of the songs had been recorded by late 2016, according to a Nov. 21, 2016 article in Rolling Stone, including the work of late Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell, who died in 2017. Cornell recorded the song “You Never Knew My Mind.”
Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson recorded “Forever/I Still Miss Someone.” Nelson and Kristofferson were close friends of Cash, and along with late country star Waylon Jennings toured and recorded as the country music supergroup The Highwaymen.
Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves, who got married on Oct.14, 2017, will sing the love song "To June This Morning,"
The album will complement the book of Cash’s poetry and writings, “Forever Words: The Unknown Poems.” The collection features 41 of the writings discovered after the Man in Black died.
Johnny Cash: Forever Words Track List
1. "Forever/I Still Miss Someone" - Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. "To June This Morning" - Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. "Gold All Over the Ground" - Brad Paisley
4. "You Never Knew My Mind" - Chris Cornell
5. "The Captain's Daughter" - Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. "Jellico Coal Man" - T Bone Burnett
7. "The Walking Wounded" - Rosanne Cash
8. "Them Double Blues" - John Mellencamp
9. "Body on Body" - Jewel
10. "I'll Still Love You" - Elvis Costello
11. "June's Sundown" - Carlene Carter
12. "He Bore It All" - Daily and Vincent
13. "Chinky Pin Hill" - I'm With Her
14. "Goin', Goin', Gone" - Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. "What Would I Dreamer Do?" - The Jayhawks
16. "Spirit Rider" - Jamey Johnson