Legendary singer and Country Music Hall of Fame member Don Williams might be retired, but his music finds a new life. Long-time friend, collaborator and producer Garth Fundis sought out a bevy of talent, including Chris Stapleton, Pistol Annies (Miranda Lambert, Angaleena Presley and Ashley Monroe) and Alison Krauss (among others), for an upcoming tribute collection, aptly titled Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams.
Jason Isbell, Amanda Shires, John Prine, Morgane Stapleton, Dierks Bentley, Garth Brooks, Lady Antebellum, Brandy Clark, Keb' Mo', Roger Cook and Trisha Yearwood also contribute reinventions of classic Williams songs. Those include "Tulsa Time" (the 1978 winner of the ACM Single of the Year honor, taken on by none other than Pistol Annies), "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend," "Amanda," "Maggie's Dream" and "Good Ole Boys Like Me."
“It has been my privilege to work frequently with Don through the years, and I’m proud to honor him with this new project,” says Fundis of the passion project, which stems from a very real and heartfelt place from each and every performer. “All of the artists on the album have been huge Don Williams fans for years. It makes the entire project very personal and very meaningful.”
In his legacy career, Williams has collected countless chart records and many industry accolades. He was named CMA Male Vocalist of the Year in 1978 and took home the Album of the year trophy three years later for I Believe in You. He also has 17 No. 1 hits to his credit and his catalog stretches an impressive five decades.
Gentle Giants arrives May 26 on Slate Creek Records. All musical performances were donated in support of MusiCares, the charitable arm of The Recording Academy.
Check out the tracklist:
1. "Tulsa Time" - Pistol Annies
2. "I Believe in You" - Brandy Clark
3. "We've Got a Good Fire Goin'" - Lady Antebellum
4. "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend" - Dierks Bentley
5. "Amanda" - Chris Stapleton feat. Morgane Stapleton
6. "Till The Rivers All Run Dry" - Alison Krauss
7. "Love Is On A Roll" - John Prine feat. Roger Cook
8. "If I Needed You" - Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires
9. "Maggie's Dream" - Trisha Yearwood
10. "Lord I Hope This Day is Good" - Keb' Mo'
11. "Good Ole Boys Like Me" - Garth Brooks
Stay tuned to AXS.com for any and all updates.