Following his 11th season in the NFL and parting ways with the Chicago Bears after eight years, there was a lot of speculation about quarterback Jay Cutler's future in the league. Retirement became a realistic option for the soon-to-be 34-year-old, but apparently, that's not the path he's going to take.
According to ESPN, Cutler's claims his client plans to continue his football career:
"Free-agent quarterback Jay Cutler does not intend to retire and "wants to play football," his agent told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Tuesday."
Unfortunately for Cutler, he may have to adjust becoming a backup in the NFL. No team in the league seems willing to give him a shot as a starter unless the New York Jets are genuinely interested as NFL Insider Ian Rapoport reported last month:
"The Jets do have some interest in Jay Cutler. And I'm told he has interest in them as well," Rapoport said.
Cutler may have to wait until after the 2017 NFL Draft that starts on Thurs. April 27. Three notable quarterbacks are being mentioned as being in the conversation to be taken in the first round. Deshaun Watson (Clemson), Mitch Trubisky (North Carolina), and Patrick Mahomes (Texas Tech) could all conceivably be taken in the first round potentially leaving Cutler with limited options on the free agent market.
The Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals, and Minnesota Vikings may all be looking for or at least consider quarterbacks in the draft. Cutler may turn out to be a backup plan or simply an available veteran during the 2017 NFL season.
Last season, Cutler played in only five games throwing for 1,059 yards, four touchdowns, and five interceptions with a completion percentage of 59.1 and a quarterback rating of 78.1.