American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson has proven she is more than just a singer on a competition show as she has become one of the top female vocalist in pop music. Her debut single, A Moment Like This, broke the record for the biggest jump to number one in the Billboard chart's history. Her second album took on more of a rock sound rather than the pop sound of the first album she released. She has grown in her music and her acting, she has taken on pop, rock and country music. She is known for her versatility and range in her vocals. She sings of heartbreak and self-empowerment in her songs. She has released seven studio albums, including a Christmas album, and released a Greatest Hits package. Here are five of her best lyrics or verses from her musical collection.
1. "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" - The single became her biggest hit to date and was met with wonderful critical acclaim. The song's lyrical content explores the themes of empowerment and recovery following a heartbreak. Her vocal performance shows the sting of a bad break-up but how her comeback increases her personal power.
You think you got the best of me
Think you've had the last laugh
Bet you think that everything good is gone
Think you left me broken down
Think that I'd come running back
Baby you don't know me, cause you're dead wrong
2. "Breakaway" - The single focuses on the growth of a small town girl wanting to breakout from that town and take on the world. Written by Matthew Gerrard, Bridget Benenate and Avril Lavigne and previously set for Lavigne's debut album but was dropped, Clarkson picked it up for the soundtrack of The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement. The song shows the girl wanting to take the risk of breaking away from where she comes from but not forgetting her roots, her leaving would be for her own self-improvement.
3. "Dark Side" - With the synthpop sound in the single, Clarkson opens up in vulnerability and questions if the person she is involved with can love her dark side. Reminding the lover of the bad days everyone has and wants to make sure that he will stay around even on those days. She encourages him to not run away and actually promise to stay with her.
Nobody's a picture perfect
But we're worth it
You know that we're worth it
Will you love me?
Even with my dark side?
4. "Since U Been Gone" - Clarkson narrates an anthem of personal reinvention and dancing in this single. Written and produced by Max Martin and Lukasz "Dr. Luke" Gottwald and originally set for Pink to record, Clarkson was given the song after Pink and Hilary Duff turned it down. The song is written from a woman's point of view and her sense of relief with the end of her troubled relationship. Clarkson wanted the pop song to have a more rock edge and requested more guitar riffs and drums to be added.
You had your chance you blew it
Out of sight, out of mind
Shut your mouth I just can't take it
Again and again and again and again
5. "Walk Away" - The single encourages folks that if a relationship is not working out, the outlook will be worse if the person stays, then it is best to walk away. She wants a man that will stand by her, support her and not listen to the family that may not like her. With smoldering vocals and power she unleashes her anger from past relationships in the single.
I wanna love
I want a fire
To feel the burn
I wanna man by my side
Not a boy who runs and hides
Are you gonna fight for me?
Die for me?
Live and breathe for me?
Do you care for me?
'Cause if you don't then just leave
With a new baby and a loving husband, Clarkson may move towards a softer side and be more vulnerable in her future music. Clarkson is hitting the road the summer of 2015 to promote her new album Piece by Piece, see tour date here. Read more about Kelly Clarkson here.